What is the Qualifying Criteria?
- At least two-thirds of the flats must be let to ‘qualifying tenants’ (a tenant who was originally granted a lease term of more than 21 years).
- It can be part-commercial but the non-residential part must not exceed 25% of the total floor area, excluding common parts.
- The building must be self-contained or structurally detached.
- RTM does not apply where the immediate landlord of any qualifying tenant is a local housing authority.
- RTM does not apply where the premises fall within the Resident Landlord Exemption. To fulfil this exemption would require the following:
- The premises must be other than a purpose-built block (for example a converted house); AND
- They must comprise not more than four flats; AND
- One of the flats must be occupied by the freeholder or an adult member of their family as their only or principal home for the last twelve months.